Show Notes - Every Business Needs a Hero Podcast
Dealing with Distraction - How to get Focussed in your Business | Hero Story - Dr James Cobb from Total Balance Chiropractic talks building the right team to focus on what is important | #2
Never miss an episode. Subscribe to get new episodes as they become available.
Getting a handle on Balance in your business is an ever evolving project. An important feature of this is the concept of Getting out of your own way. A business owner needs to work hard at scalability to ensure things don’t just rely on them. In this Episode’s Hero story we speak with Dr James Cobb, a chiropractor that has seen great growth in his business and has a great appreciation for what it takes to scale sustainably beyond himself.
A bit about Dr James Cobb
Dr James Cobb is the founder of Total Balance Chiropractic, based in Newcastle NSW. James grew up in Geelong, working in both Melbourne and the Hunter Valley before moving to the UK in 2001. As a senior associate for a growing multi practice chiropractic group in Glasgow, he helped establish new clinics and mentor new graduates, before returning to Australia in 2008 to establish Total Balance. He also finds time to sit on the board of ABC Australasia, a professional chiropractic technique association.
As part of his Hero Story, James took us through how he has built his business and developed a mindset focussed on scaling a consistent and quality patient experience. We also discussed the importance of a strong vision and purpose when it comes to building a great team.
Top 3 Takeaways
- Wearing the 2 hats – Business Owner vs Practitioner, being able to realise when you reach the point you need someone to manage the business fundamentals (80% as well as what you can is fine) and remove your distraction. Partitioning your time and your mindset is also key.
- Don’t reinvent the wheel and take advice from Professionals experienced in your industry that you can model off.
- Have a clear vision and a sense of purpose and surround yourself with good people, both behind you AND also in front of you.
Resources and Links
Find out more about Total Balance Chiropractic https://www.newcastlechiropractor.com.au/
Start with the end in mind (7 Habits by Stephen Covey) – Shortform Summary
Advance Bio-Structural Correction Australasia ABC
Hot Topic Summary – Dealing with Distraction
How many of you go through your day-to-day, whether it be in the workplace, or as part of your business, dealing with a whole heap of distractions and just not having enough time to get everything done.
It’s a fairly common problem and I regularly hear people say “I just don’t have enough time. I’m too busy.” While you’re busy though, you’re missing out on opportunities. In this episode we look at some of the symptoms that come from being continually distracted , as well as a number of steps that you can take to deal with that distraction and make some massive inroads into your time management.
- Under Resourced
- Distracted by things that don’t matter
- Minimal Systems and Processes
- Overwhelmed and Sleepless
Key Steps to Overcome:
- Define your role
- Do only what you should be doing and delegate/outsource the rest
- Implement methods to prevent internal mind distractions and day dreaming
- Implement methods to counter interruptions by others
- Stay the Course and devote your saved time to productive tasks, not more leisure.
Listen to the full podcast for more insights.
Quick Question: “How do I stop procrastinating over things?”
- Fear of making a decision – Become informed and make it easier to make a decision
- Remove Disorganisation – Be prepared so you can do your research and be ready for your decision
- Deal with your Lack of focus – Concentrate on one thing a time
[ 00:46:44 ]
As featured on the Podcast
How many of you go through your day-to-day, whether it be in the workplace, or as part of your business, dealing with a whole heap